Can i get a drivers license in NYC with Deferred Action?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

I got approved for the deferred action and received my work permit and i also applied for social and should be receiving it this week. Can i go ahead and go to the permit exam and then take the road test for the drivers license here in NYC?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, once you have you EAD. The duration will be the same as that on the EAD.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with Attorney Segal.

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You... more
  3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes you can, once you receive your Social Security card.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Deferred action

Deferred Action is a policy that allows qualifying immigrants to receive employment authorization and have removal proceedings delayed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,917 answers this week

3,322 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,917 answers this week

3,322 attorneys answering