Can i get a DL after receiving my work permit today and still don't know anything about my immigration status

Jackson, TN |

I have received my work permit in the mail today,I have a ss card says not valid for work, so can i change the card tomo and get a DL? not sure if they ask about my immigration status ,I am married to a USC but didn't get the appointment for the interview yet

i went there once and someone told me that you have to have the American passport ,or the green card or the birth certificate

Yes you can get a DL from the DMV. Just shown them your work permit. With that work permit in your hand, who cares if your SSA card says not valid for work ?? Of curse, you can have to changed, but why bother now? Wait until you get your GC.

You interview should be held a month or two from now.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

In a state like California, a green card applicant can get a DL with a work permit. I recommend that you find out whether Tennessee will issue a DL based on a work permit.

TO know anything about the immigration status, schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney. In many states, You can satisfy immigration status requirements by producing the EAD.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Recommended articles about Employment