Can I get a divorce if I don't know exactly where my husband is?

Aiken, SC |

I got married young but me and my husband separated after 13 months of marriage.I have not seen him in over 20 years and I heard he got married again.Is that possible?I have been on the internet and I have his last known address.I am ready to move on with my life but I don't know if I can get married again if I want to. I went to Staples and got a divorce kit it says I need my husband's birth certificate I don't have it . Please help

1. In Alabama, a divorce by publication is available. The divorce is simply published in the last known county of residence. You may want to check your local laws to see if publication is available for your state as well.

2. The court will require you to retain a private investigator to perform a search to see if the spouse can be located. If not, then you can petition the court to allow service by publication. Based on the facts, the judge will decide where and for how long the newspaper notice has to be published. Then you can proceed with the divorce.