Can I get a divorce for free or for $1 dollar if my spouse is incarcerated?

Ashland, KY |

My spouse is sentence to 5 yrs. in prison and people have told me I can get a divorce for one dollar or even for free! If this is so I was needing information but would just like to know if this is true!

No, it isn't - I'm not aware of any law that automatically allows you to retain an attorney without having to pay them. You can certainly seek pro bono representation through legal aid or a private attorney, but they would have to agree to represent you for free. If they won't, then you'll have to hire an attorney and pay for them directly.

This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be considered only a general response to a hypothetical scenario posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.