Can I get a divorce for free or for $1 dollar if my spouse is incarcerated?

Asked about 3 years ago - Ashland, KY

My spouse is sentence to 5 yrs. in prison and people have told me I can get a divorce for one dollar or even for free! If this is so I was needing information but would just like to know if this is true!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael J Corbin

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No, it isn't - I'm not aware of any law that automatically allows you to retain an attorney without having to pay them. You can certainly seek pro bono representation through legal aid or a private attorney, but they would have to agree to represent you for free. If they won't, then you'll have to hire an attorney and pay for them directly.

    This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,127 answers this week

3,444 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,127 answers this week

3,444 attorneys answering