Can I get a divorce case dismiss that filed by my wife?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hillsborough, NJ

I sent a production of docs & interrogatory questions to my wife and in the response I got 98% of the answers in the interrogatory questions are saying plaintiff doesn’t presently possess any responsive materials ; plaintiff reserves her rights on supplement or amend this response as discovery continue . Can I get the case dismiss from the court at this point , seems like there is no definite date ( 30 days was the time period for the first POD \ IQ ) now for submitting any production of Docs ? Is that anything that can go in my fair at this point ? the Conference meeting is in the end of next month .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David F Salvaggio

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . it sounds like you are trying to represent yourself. If so, there are specific Court Rules and procedures that you need to familiarize yourself with and follow.

    It is very unlikely that the Court will grant a Motion to dismiss, until you have taken the first step: That is--you should call her (and send her a letter) telling her how her answers are deficient and asking that she fix the deficiencies within a specified period of time (I suggest 7-10 days). If she doesn't do that, you should file a Motion with the Court to compel your wife to provide more specific answers to your discovery requests or, if she has provided no answer at all, to compel her to provide an answer. Make sure to describe in your Motion papers exactly what you have done to try to get the discovery from her, before filing the Motion.

    You should seriously consider at least meeting with a very experienced Divorce Lawyer, going over all of the facts and getting the necessary guidance.

    DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should... more
  2. Thomas S. Durst


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Failure to answer discovery could lead to a dismissal in extreme situations. But if you really need the information then you need to have the judge order her compliance. I agree with the suggestion that you meet with an attorney quickly.

    This post is not legal advice and does not create a confidential attorney-client relationship. It is being... more
  3. Anthony J Van Zwaren


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree with the other two attorneys. It is unlikely in a divorce matter, unlike in civil cases, that the matter would be dismissed, although there may be sanctions if your wife ignores court orders, or she may be prevented in seeking remedies like equitable distribution or alimony if she doesn't provide responses like a case information statement, etc. You need to consider making a motion to compel compliance with discovery, but as mentioned, you probably should confer with a family law attorney.

    DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,217 answers this week

2,890 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,217 answers this week

2,890 attorneys answering