Can I get a court order stating that I can travel outside the US?

Chambersburg, PA |
Filed under: Family law

My ex has made it adament she is not going to sign for consent for me to get passports to travel to Mexico this summer with my kids. She actually is trying to stop me from getting passports all together. How can I get this court ordered without spending a lot of money on an attorney? Can I do this by myself? She has no reason to fear I will abduct them. If anything, she just recently defied our custody agreement and we went to court for contempt so can I deny her taking my kids out of the country and still be allowed to take them with me? Or will they say if I can take them, she can?

I understand your anger and your frustration with the system and with your ex. However, people do take children out of the country and not return them, so even if she has no reason to think you will do so, her claim would make sense to the people who hear it. You cannot, much as you might wish, engage in self-help as retribution for her perceived contempt. You should indeed seek a court order. Although you could do this pro se, I do not recommend it. What the court may want to know and see could be quite complex. I frequently see people lose in custody matters because they have not followed exact procedure or because of insufficient pleadings or information in the pleadings. You should indeed talk to an attorney about this.

2. You will probably need a court order which you can provide to Passport Services authorizing you to obtain passports for the children without the other parent's consent.

If you don't want to spend "a lot" of money on an attorney, whatever that might mean, you can either proceed pro se and take your chances or else you can contact some in your area and inquire about their billing policies and arrangements. You may be surprised to find that the cost might not be exorbitant for a matter like this, and the money will most likely be well worth it.
    If the outcome is important to you, pick up the phone and consult with an attorney soon.

Good luck,
    Chris

The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay, 1325 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107, chris@cfaylaw.com, (267) 519-2719, www.cfaylaw.com. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. You should not act based upon this general information nor without seeking legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. Any client reviews or attorney endorsements posted on this website are solely the opinion of that person and should not be construed as representative of the results you might expect to receive in your specific legal matter. No one can offer a review or endorsement concerning the type or quality of legal work they received in relation to the type or quality of legal work that might be done for you if you become a client of this office. This website is not advertising. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of our attorneys. This website and its feature to contact us do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay or any of its attorneys. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay practices law only in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Pursuant to the requirements of U.S. Treasury Regulation Circular 230, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used to avoid penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or to promote, market or recommend to another person any tax-related matter.