Can I get a contingency lawyer, I was wongfuly fired from my job?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Valley Stream, NY

I got into an argument with a coworker because she was talking about my medical problem, I left work and I got a phone call that I was suspend, and I will get a letter in the mail, I went to my union to make a complaint and nothing was done, months later I got another phone call that I was terminated and I will get a letter in the mail never got a letter, my supervisor said it will be an investigation of what happen and she never did an investigation until this month when I sent an e-mail to the owner of the company to make him aware of what happen, the coworker that I had the argument with was never suspended or terminated.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Locksley O'Sullivan Wade

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Before you run out of time focus on whether you were subject to unlawful discrimination and retaliation for complaining about unlawful discrimination. If such is the case, then file a complaint with the EEOC or the State Div. of Human Rights . An attorney is more likely to take a look at your case -if any- while its pending before the mentioned administrative agencies.

  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I doubt a lawyer will take this on contingency.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It doesn't sound like you have a case, unless, it is for breach of the Union Contract, and it seems unlikely that the case will entice an attorney to take it on a contingency basis.

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore,... more
  4. Todd Lamont Crawford

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Your union was supposed to investigate this matter and determine whether they were going to represent you against the employer and get your job back. This seems like it was not done. You now have to consult with a lawyer for action against your union. As for your employer, there may be a cause of action regarding the circumstances that led to your firing. For these reasons, you must contact a lawyer ASAP.

    All answers given are my opinions based on the limited facts given. No answers should be relied upon without a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,016 answers this week

2,732 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,016 answers this week

2,732 attorneys answering