Can I get a concealed weapons permit with a felony burglary Charge

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I got adjudicated as a youthful offender for 2 burglarys and 1 grandtheft charge and I served 3years probation and paid off restitution and the case closed. I'm trying to get a job as armed security is there any way I can get a cwp

1. Colleen M. Glenn

Pro

16

1

Answered . If you were adjudicated guilty you may not possess a firearm.

2. William David Umansky

Pro

12

Answered . If you were adjudicated guilty of a felony you may not possess one and you would face mandatory prison time if you were caught with a firearm.

3. Frank Mascagni III

12

Answered . If you are a convicted felon, it is against federal law to be a felon in possession of a handgun. That is a felony also. I don't practice in FL, but in my state, KY, you would be prohibited from a carrying permit if you have been convicted of a felony. We have many avvo criminal defense lawyers on this site that practice in FL that will respond.

4. Edward Joseph Chandler Jr.

8

Answered . A disposition of your prior burglary case with adjudication of guilt will prevent you from being eligible for a concealed weapons permit.

5. Eric Matthew Matheny

5

Answered . An adjudication is a conviction. If you were adjudicated on burglary and grand theft charges then you are a convicted felon. It doesn't matter if you were sentenced as a YO.

It is both a federal and state offense for you to even possess a firearm.

6. Gerald Laverne Wilkerson II

4

Answered . You should consider applying to have your civil rights restored. Go to this website to read about how to do it: https://fpc.state.fl.us/Clemency.htm

You are considered a convicted felon by State and Federal law and must have your rights restored before you may possess a firearm.

As additional information for any reader of this answer, it is also a violation of the "Lautenberg Act" to possess a firearm if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.