Can I get a civil unioned dissolved when my ex lives in VT and I live in PA?

Lewistown, PA |

I got civil unioned to another man in VT 3 years ago. Since we have split up and I moved back to PA. Is it even remotely possible to dissolve the civil union with both of us in different states? PA does not support civil unions or same sex marriages.

1. Yes, you should file n Vermont though. Good luck and I wish you well and fully support your rights to marriage. This is a simple answer and I hope you will take the time to click it as a HELPFUL answer.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

2. If your partner has never been in PA during the union, then PA would have nothing to do with it all. PA will not take jurisdiction where one person has never been in PA. This is strictly a Vermont case.