Skip to main content

Can I get a B2 visa if I married a US citizen?

Santa Ana, CA |

I first came to the US through J1 visa and is subject to 2year home residency requirement. Later I changed to F1 visa. I got married to a US citizen before completing my two years home residency requirement.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I think I need more information in order to answer your question. Have you since returned to your home country to begin completing your home residency requirement and you want to apply for a visa at the U.S. consulate there? Or are you still in the U.S. and want to change status to B1/B2?


You are still subject to the two year home residency requirement. Getting a B2 visa will also be more difficult if you are married to a U.S. citizen. You will need to go out of your way to show your intent to return home at the end of your visa period. This can be through pre-purchase of return plane tickets, evidence of a residence, job, and family abroad. It sounds like a complex situation and you should consult with an immigration attorney for an exact answer.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer