Can I get 50/50 physical custody?

Asked over 3 years ago - Bradford, PA

Here is a little background information that might help. I have two children one 13 and one 8. My ex and I have been seperated for two years and divorces for about 7 months. There was a custody agreement made shortly after we seperated. The agreement is that I get my children every Tuesday and Wednesday from 4:30 to 7:30. And every other weekend. Also, on the weekends she has them I get them the Monday after from 4:30-7:30. At the time I was living with a relative and she still had our family home so, this was the best option. I am now on my feet and have my own place. For the last 4 months she has let me have thekids on Wednesday night as a overnight and I take the kids to school. A couple days ago the kids got sick and I took them to the doctor. They both had strept. The doctor said they

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Joshua B. Goldberg


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . First, every county in PA is slightly different and you should consult with an attorney in your specific county. Most Courts will follow the pattern that you and your ex-wife have been following over the past 2+ years. That is not to say it is impossible to get 50/50 physical custody. You will have to provide the Court with a good reason for this change. If things are going well under the current set up, the Court may not be willing to make large changes. So, the more "ammunition" you have the better. Having your own place is certainly persuasive and may get you more time.

    You should verify the process in your area. Many counties use the Conciliation Conference method where the first step is a Custody Conference where a Court appointed master tries to work out a deal between the parents. Usually these masters have no ability to fundamentally change custody. This is important as you may have to take this matter to a custody trial to gain more time with your children, unless your ex-wife agrees.

    One other important note, the court should also listen to what your kids say at this point. They are both old enough to tell the Court what they feel. For obvious reasons, more weight is placed on an older child's opinions.

    The advice provided does not create an attorney/client relationship. The within information contained herein is a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,360 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,360 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering