Skip to main content

Can I get 17 month OPT extension with a part-time Adjunct Faculty position?

Sterling, VA |

This is an immigration related question.

I have been offered an Adjunct Faculty position (workload: 20 to 25 hours per week) by a college starting from August 2014. Currently I am working in a company in OPT status, but I want to switch to the Adjunct Faculty position, and I want to apply to USCIS for 17 month OPT extension with that.

I just want to make sure that part-time adjunct faculty position is okay for 17 month OPT extension.
Thank you.

My major is in STEM field, and I am eligible for 17 month OPT extension.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Based on the facts you provided, you can apply for a 17 month OPT extension on part-time adjunct faculty position as long as the employer is enrolled in E-Verify.

  2. Your employer needs to be enrolled in E-Verify.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Not unless your employer is enrolled in the e-verify program.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics