Skip to main content

Can I force someone to get a paternity test?

Aurora, CO |
Filed under: Paternity

I am pregnant and the guy that I know is the father denies it and he was the last person I had sex with. He has already made it clear that he doesn't want to be involved ,but is there any way I can get him involved and make him take a paternity test. Also, he is 24 and I'm 15 is that against Colorado Law and will he be charged?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Based on the more than 5 year disparity in age, he could be charged with statutory rape. Paternity can't be established until after the baby is born. Then, a Petition to Establish Paternity can be filed by you in order to require him to take a DNA test to determine if he is the natural father of the child. At the age of 15, you really need to have the assistance of family and friends in raising this baby. Basically, you are still a child under the law raising another child.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer