Can I force my former employer to delete my email address on their domain?

Was recently fired from my work. I had been using the business' email address for years, often for personal communications - as did many others on the staff. That address ' password has been changed by the manager -- not deleted. That manager is now handling the domain's email. Though I've sent out notice to contacts, my personal communications are bound to come through. (The real reason this guy fired me, btw, is that I am not gay, and he clearly had an interest in me, but that's another question) Do I have a right to have that address deleted, so all messages to it are bounced? Even aside from privacy, people will think I'm ignoring them. Thanks

Burlingame, CA -

James Carl Eschen III

James Carl Eschen III

Real Estate Attorney - Santa Cruz, CA

No. It's your employer's email system. This is another reason why you should not use your employer's address for personal communications.

Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Business Attorney - Oakland, CA

You do not have an ownership interest in the email address. You would waste you money, because courts cannot give you the relief you seek. Spend your resources updating your friends.

Michael T Millar

Michael T Millar

Business Attorney - Toms River, NJ

No, you cannot force your employer to delete your business email address.