Can I force my ex-boyfriend to refinance debt into his name only?

Apple Valley, CA |
Filed under: Debt

Foolishly, I consolidated my boyfriend's debt for 26k and let him use a credit card now with a balance of 8k in my name. He purchased the house I had been renting for 5 years and is kicking me out - I was "served" with an eviction notice. He makes 200k a year and has been paying on the above debt for over 2 years with no problem. However, he refuses to refinance the debt into his name. My "debt to income" ratio is keeping me from qualifying for a house of my own - even from renting. And, my fear is that IF I can find a place to live for me and my daughter, at any time he may decide to quit paying and ruin my credit even further. Is there anything I can do?

1. As between you and the credit card company, you are 100% liable. However, if he stops paying and you have to pay, you can sue him for indemnity and contribution to recover the portion he should have paid.

Disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.