Can I force my condo assn to evict a violent tenant who attacked another owner? Can we sue the association if it does nothing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hazel Crest, IL

A condo owner rents to tenants who have criminal relatives.. One is a visitor who used drugs in the common areas and harassed several owners. Recently, an elderly condo owner was kicked and punched in the head and torso in the common areas by him. He was arrested and released to the family renting the unit. The association and landlord were urged to evict the tenants. At first they said they would take action and call a board meeting, but later said they spoke with the board president and attorney and there was nothing they will do because it’s a rental unit, the association has no right to evict, and the victim was a family member who owns a unit in the building so it was none of their concern. The perpetrator is allowed to revisit the premises and cause harm to the victim and others.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . It is possible that the Bylaws do not provide for any method to evict BY THE ASSOCIATION.

Report all criminal conduct to the police.

Do not take matters into your own hands. That would get you in trouble with the law.