Can I force Carrier/Shipping Company to pay value of goods rather than $.10/lb as per BOL? Items stolen at their Baltimore loc

Shipping goods to MD. Dropped them off at company's location in CA. Items had a stop in Baltimore. I dropped of electronic and computer equipment myself and saw packing and boxing was fine. Upon delivery, truck driver and recipient confirmed boxes were damaged. They offered $70 for my claim of $13,000. Items must've been tampered with in Baltimore.

Santa Clara, CA -

John Noah Kitta

John Noah Kitta

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Fremont, CA

An attorney will have to review your bill as well as all other related documents affecting your relationship with the carrier. Another issue was add on insurance made available in regard to the product you were shipping?

Paul Bradley Schroeder

Paul Bradley Schroeder

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Walnut Creek, CA

A lawyer will need to review the documents that define your relationship with the carrier. You may be stuck with respect to the carrier. However, there may be other potential defendants, such as whoever packed the boxes and any third parties involved in the shipment.

Matthew Erik Johnson

Matthew Erik Johnson

Business Attorney - Seattle, WA

You cannot force the carrier to do anything, only a judge can force the company to do anything.

I'm not sure what you necessarily mean by "saw packing and boxing was fine". Just because you thought it looked "fine" doesn't mean it was. However, it also does not mean that the packing was not fine either. This will be a matter of dispute.

In this case the carrier may very well be at fault since it was their duty to deliver goods in fair condition, and they did not.

You should take this matter to a business/contract attorney and dispute this. The company may start listening once a lawyer is involved.