Can I force Carrier/Shipping Company to pay value of goods rather than $.10/lb as per BOL? Items stolen at their Baltimore loc

Santa Clara, CA |

Shipping goods to MD. Dropped them off at company's location in CA. Items had a stop in Baltimore. I dropped of electronic and computer equipment myself and saw packing and boxing was fine. Upon delivery, truck driver and recipient confirmed boxes were damaged. They offered $70 for my claim of $13,000. Items must've been tampered with in Baltimore.

You cannot force the carrier to do anything, only a judge can force the company to do anything.

I'm not sure what you necessarily mean by "saw packing and boxing was fine". Just because you thought it looked "fine" doesn't mean it was. However, it also does not mean that the packing was not fine either. This will be a matter of dispute.

In this case the carrier may very well be at fault since it was their duty to deliver goods in fair condition, and they did not.

You should take this matter to a business/contract attorney and dispute this. The company may start listening once a lawyer is involved.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC

An attorney will have to review your bill as well as all other related documents affecting your relationship with the carrier. Another issue was add on insurance made available in regard to the product you were shipping?

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

A lawyer will need to review the documents that define your relationship with the carrier. You may be stuck with respect to the carrier. However, there may be other potential defendants, such as whoever packed the boxes and any third parties involved in the shipment.