Can I fire my attorney and hire another without having to start the divorce process over again?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Knoxville, TN

I am a 56 year old male in the state of Tennessee. I filed for divorce in June 2011. Depositions given March 2012. The divorce is contested over her demanding half the value of my home that I inherited. Approx value of home is $125,000.00.
I call or go by to see my attorney every week. She's still living here. She does not help with ANY bills or housework.
My attorney refuses to use the mediator her attorney suggested and her attorney refuses to use my attorney's mediator. Mexican stand off since March 2012.

1. John Frank Higgins

1

Answered . You are free to move forward with any Attorney that you want to. I would try to work things out with her if possible because you have come so far. Your Attorney would have to notify the Court that you want to move forward with someone else, but the process would not have to be restarted.

2. Rachel Leigh Lambert

Answered . Yes, when you hire new counsel, you do not have to start the divorce process all over again. All you have to do is hire another attorney, and your new attorney would file a Consent Order Substituting Counsel. Your new attorney would just pick up and move from the current status of the case. You need to let your current attorney know that you are going to meet with other attorneys to consider a change of counsel.