Can i fire an employee for accidentally sending me a text that was meant for another employee?

Johnson Creek, WI |

The employee didn't like that i found her out on not coming to work one day, i caught her lying. later she text-ed another employee of mine and accidentally went to me. In the text she called me a Bi**ch

WI is an at will employment state. You can fire someone for any reason you want as long as you don't do so for a discriminatory reason (age, race, religion ect). You can also contest unemployment based on her behavior.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

Thank you.

You most definitely can.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Wisconsin is an "at will" state. An employer can fire you for any reason except a prohibited reason. I don't see any prohibited reasons mentioned. You might want to contact an employment lawyer about this.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. This answer is not legal advice, which requires a personal connection and far more facts. This attorney does not give legal advice over the Internet. This is a general statement about law, not advice.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Mr. Enochs would know more about this than I do. Again, I didn't see any prohibited reason mentioned in your post, That does not mean that there is not one that could trip you up. You should not post more details here on the Internet.

I wouldn't be so hasty! You don't state everything she said in the text message and there's something called "concerted protected activity" which protects some employee speech in the workplace. I'd discuss this with an employment attorney and be sure to provide the attorney with the entire text. Just because she called you a "b*tch" doesn't necessarily provide 100% grounds for termination, believe it or not. The NLRB is getting aggressive about employer's firing employees for their speech.

Tajara Dommershausen

Tajara Dommershausen

I agree if it is a discussion outside of work between two employees there MIGHT be an exception but when it is sent to the employer, I think the employee is out of luck.