Can i fire an employee for accidentally sending me a text that was meant for another employee?

The employee didn't like that i found her out on not coming to work one day, i caught her lying. later she text-ed another employee of mine and accidentally went to me. In the text she called me a Bi**ch

Johnson Creek, WI -

Tajara Dommershausen

Tajara Dommershausen

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Menasha, WI

WI is an at will employment state. You can fire someone for any reason you want as long as you don't do so for a discriminatory reason (age, race, religion ect). You can also contest unemployment based on her behavior.

Randy T. Enochs

Randy T. Enochs

Employment / Labor Attorney - Milwaukee, WI

I wouldn't be so hasty! You don't state everything she said in the text message and there's something called "concerted protected activity" which protects some employee speech in the workplace. I'd discuss this with an employment attorney and be sure to provide the attorney with the entire text. Just because she called you a "b*tch" doesn't necessarily provide 100% grounds for termination, believe it or not. The NLRB is getting aggressive about employer's firing employees for their speech.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Madison, WI

Wisconsin is an "at will" state. An employer can fire you for any reason except a prohibited reason. I don't see any prohibited reasons mentioned. You might want to contact an employment lawyer about this.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Business Attorney - Parker, CO

You most definitely can.