Skip to main content

Can I find the county negilient in my husbands drowning recovery

Jackson, MI |

my husband drown at a county lake and the county park was never taped off as a crime scene and boats were able to enter the water and when my husbands body was recovered he had been hit by a boat and horribly disfigured. There was no goodbyes for me or my family. This could have been avoided.

Attorney Answers 3


Did they find the boat that hit him? The people with the boat were most likely negligent.

Helpful Hint: Get a lawyer with a low contingency fee of 29% or less, so you are left with the lion’s share of the settlement money.

Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful


As I understand your question it is: Your husband drowned, not because he was hit by a boat, but for some other reason and you are concerned that after he was dead a boat mutilated his body because the lake was not closed until his body could be recovered.

This really boils down to whether a reasonable county lake manager would have closed the lake until his body was recovered. This would probably be a jury question with the county making various arguments. Without knowing what the county would argue it is hard to assess the claim but I think it has potential.

You will need to contact a local attorney where the accident happened. In many states, suing a government entity requires notification to the government entity soon after the claim arises.

I am sorry for your loss.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It is difficult to give an accurate evaluation of your case based on the limited information provided. I recommend contacting an experienced attorney who could evaluate all the facts and help determine your next best course of action. You are always welcome to call for a free evaluation/consultation.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics