Can I find out if someone has a restraining order against them?

Asked over 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I recently was told that my ex-boyfriend has a restraining order against him in a different state. I was told the restraining order is in Illinois. I am going to file a police report against my ex this week and was wondering if the police can look up if the restraining order exists or not. I am considering asking for a restraining order if I find out that he is dangerous. Is there a way for me to look up the restraining order myself?

1. Nadine Marie Jett

Answered . You can run an internet criminal search, it will show up. The police will not assist you in this matter.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship