Can I find out any information on whether a business has been sued and also what was the verdict(s)?

Joliet, IL |
Filed under: Litigation

Recently moved and was awaiting security deposit and received bill instead adding on $960! When I inquired what this was due to I was told for cleaning and painting. Labor took 4 days they claim costing them $1,200 when I asked for them to show me the final product I was told that I was not allowed. If anything there was a days work needing to be done very minamal. I'm just trying to figure out if this is worth going to court for? I also want to know if I could look up to see if they have had lawsuits against them before and what the results where? Thank you

There are judgment indices kept. Many are online. If they are not, go to the county courthouse and ask,

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Go to the Jefferson St. courthouse, first floor and do a free computer search of the defendant by name and business name.

Most counties have at least the basics of court records online. If your county does not, you will need to go to the courthouse. You should also consider talking to a landlord tenant attorney.

For more information: By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation