Can I find hidden assets?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Bayonne, NJ

I suspect that my husband has hidden assets, as he seems to be spending money that I'm quite sure he doesn't have. Is there anything in particular that I should look for?

1. John B. D'Alessandro

3

1

Answered . If your husband has his own business then a forensic accountant, as stated by Mr. Perez, would be helpful in order to determine where his income from the business is going. That however is an expensive venture. If he is a W-2 wage earner then records of his employer may be helpful to see if he is receiving cash under the table. These are always difficult cases to prove if a party is not forthcoming with income. Keep a look out for credit card bills, bank statments and other mailings to the home if he still lives with you.

2. Jove Juzmeski

2

Answered . I agree with both Mr. Perez and Mr. D'Alessandro. A forensic accountant, often times a CPA, can assist you in investigating in the financial whereabouts of marital assets that may have been withheld and not fully disclosed by your former spouse during your divorce proceedings. As Mr. D'Alessandro has stated hiring a forensic accountant can be costly should you choose to pursue that route.

3. David Perry Davis

1

Answered . A common issue in divorces.

It's also too technical and fact sensitive to really tackle here. Your attorney (or you if acting pro se) can issue subpoenas for bank records and credit card statements; that's usually a better start than jumping to the expense of a forensic accountant, which can be substantial (often requiring initial retainers of $5,000-$7,500 to get started). If the preliminary discovery that's conducted leads to more questions than it answers, THEN I'd look into a forensic accountant.

4. Santos A Perez

Answered . Google search for "forensic accountant" in you area.

www.GardenStateLaw.Com

5. Pablo N Blanco

Answered . Your question does not make clear whether you are in the process of divorce. If you are, there are various discovery avenues your attorney can pursue to obtain that information.