Can I find a pro bono lawyer that handles Unemployment Appeals cases???

Asked about 3 years ago - Montclair, NJ

I never received decision letter regarding my claim

1. Thomas Brett Duffy

Pro

Answered . I concur with what Ms. Koslyn wrote. I add that it is not unusual to have to remind a trial or appellate to issue an opinion. This is probably doubly so with an Administrative Court. So pick up the phone and call. I also note that Gov. Christie has fired about 10% of state workers and I suspect the number is higher than that for social programs, which we all know he'd like to obliterate. This is probably what you will be told (without the political commentary) when you call.

The Legal Services main number (for all NJ) is 888-NJLS-LAW (576-5529). Call but, without being sarcastic, if you live in Montclair and have money for a computer connection, you are probably way beyond the extremely low income levels set for free (indigent) representation. Still, indigence is based on income, not wealth, and unfortunately it sounds like you lost your job so you could possibly qualify.

The above is not legal advice -- it's a commentary on the sad state of social programs in NJ. I'd need to know a lot more about your case to give legal advice. I am not seeking to enter into an attorney-client relationship as I do not handle unemployment cases or appeals. Good luck with your situation.

2. Richard E Yaskin

Answered . I know of an employment litigation firm located nearby which I believe handles Unemployment appeals. You might explain your circumestances and see if they will accept a reduced or contingency fee for handling your appeal. The firm is:

Hyderally & Associates, P.C.
    33 Plymouth Street, Suite 202, Montclair,
    New Jersey 07042
    Phone: (973) 509-8500
    Fax: (973) 509-8501

Good luck,

Richard

Law Offices of Richard E. Yaskin
    1040 Kings Highway, Suite 302
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
    856-667-7570
    856-667-7573 - fax
    ryaskin@njemploymentrights.com
    www.njemploymentrights.com

Read our blog “Leveling The Playing Field”
    www.njemploymentrights.com/blog

3. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . I wouldn't count on being able to. It's hard to find lawyers who can afford to handle cases for free - we all have bills too, and when we do volunteer work, such as answering Avvo questions, we like to be able to choose the recipients.

Have you tried your local Legal Aid office? They're salaried and get paid for their work, but they're free to clients.