Can I film someone who is on private property?

Miami, FL |

I understand public filming is legal, and one needs permission in order to film on private or commercial land. What if I am on public land or my land, and I film someone who is on their land?

Here is statute reference. As my colleague referenced, one key is the right to privacy. Someone on their property in the front yard by the gate would not expect to have privacy.

Sec 810.145 Florida Statutes Video voyeurism.—

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

No. They have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

No, you cannot film people on their property without their permission.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at

Recommended articles about Real estate