Can i fill out a form for contempt of court form without having a lawyer do it?

Pacific Junction, IA |

My ex-husband has moved my children to a city other than the one agreed in our divorce decree. I want to file contempt on him so he cant move them since it wasn't a mutual agreement. I don't have the money for a lawyer right now, and the courthouse clerk wont give me any legal advice.

1. I am sorry that you are going through this. In most states contempts forms are created and the fee structure is created for people exactly in your situation, as is the form. You should be able to have it filled out and served on him and then be heard in court, take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. You can get a Rule to Show Cause form at the county courthouse. It has to be filed in the county where you were divorced. There is a fee of approximately $185. The other party must be served and there is an additional fee for this. You can have the county sheriff do this. If you are low income, you can get the filing fee and service fee deferred by filing an In Forma Pauperis application. That form can also be found at the court house.