Can i fill out a form for contempt of court form without having a lawyer do it?

Asked about 2 years ago - Pacific Junction, IA

My ex-husband has moved my children to a city other than the one agreed in our divorce decree. I want to file contempt on him so he cant move them since it wasn't a mutual agreement. I don't have the money for a lawyer right now, and the courthouse clerk wont give me any legal advice.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lisa Renee Jones

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can get a Rule to Show Cause form at the county courthouse. It has to be filed in the county where you were divorced. There is a fee of approximately $185. The other party must be served and there is an additional fee for this. You can have the county sheriff do this. If you are low income, you can get the filing fee and service fee deferred by filing an In Forma Pauperis application. That form can also be found at the court house.

  2. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. In most states contempts forms are created and the fee structure is created for people exactly in your situation, as is the form. You should be able to have it filled out and served on him and then be heard in court, take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,473 answers this week

2,796 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,473 answers this week

2,796 attorneys answering