Skip to main content

Can i fill out "community property with right of survivorship" documents?

Redwood City, CA |

or do i need to go to a professional to fill out the forms?
i know i have to have the forms notorized. but can i obtains the forms myslef? if so, where do i get them?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The lack of facts provided leaves a lot of possible ambiguity but to answer the questions directly, YES, you can prepare the document itself assuming you have the knowledge on how to do so. Forms are readily available on the internet. The problem is knowing which type of deed to use, making sure the deed is properly prepared and recorded. Breaking the current form of tenancy MAY be an issue, avoidance of documentary transfer tax or unnecessary reassessment should also be considered. Frankly, I would think that for the relatively small fee payable to a competent attorney, you would prefer the peace of mind knowing it was done right. One wrong move and you could create a real BIG problem. Hope this helps.

  2. Agree with Attorney Greenwood. Please see an attorney.

    Mr.Scalise offers a FREE 30 minute phone consultation; he may be reached at 805-244-6850 or by email ( My responses to questions posted here intended as helpful legal information not legal advice. The information I post does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Scalise is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him/her. Mr. Scalise provides “unbundled” services for specific assistance with a specific issue.O work with clients throughout California.

  3. I have never heard of community property with right of survivorship. If you are serious about setting this up properly, and I do not know what you would not bem especially if this is your house, then you should really meet with an attorney.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics