Can I file trespassing and destruction of property vs a Tree Specialist who cut a tree on my property w/out my permission?

Asked over 1 year ago - Stamford, CT

My neighbor asked to cut one of my trees down. We were still in the process of getting proposals and negotiating when a tree specialist my neighbor had been talking to cut the tree down on my property w/out my knowledge or permission. He claimed my neighbor contracted him to do so and had my permission, but my neighbor informed me he never gave final written approval and never received any written proposal from the tree specialist. I was never contacted by the tree specialist and only found out who he was after the tree was already cut down. The tree specialist left all the wood debris on my property and I have demanded he clean up the mess. He is now asking for compensation to do so but i will not pay for the work. Can I file a charge of trespassing and distruction of property?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under Connecticut law you can sue to recover the diminution of your property value or the value of the tree as timber. As the wood appears to have been left behind your choice is the diminution of value. You will need a real estate appraiser to testify as to the before and after value of the property.

    Please note that as I read your post it seems obvious that the tree specialist was acting pursuant to his communications with your neighbor. So his acts are those of an agent and the principal, your neighbor is the one ultimately responsible for the damages.

    Also your post implies that the tree was to be cut down in all events, in which case I don't see how you are damaged or have cause to "file a charge" about anything.

    Providing answers to questions on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is not possible to... more

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Neighbor law

Neighbor law deals with the legal rights and responsibilities involved with having neighbors. Examples include boundary disputes, noise, and blocked views.

Carl Engstrand

Arizona - Dog Bite Common Questions

This article’s purpose is to give the reader a brief glimpse into the aftermath of a dog bite. It is not intended as a full picture of a dog bite case. If you or a loved one is the victim... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,499 answers this week

3,570 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,499 answers this week

3,570 attorneys answering