Can i file the I-864A form if I am a principal immigrant but my visa is expired?

Hello.My name is Nick.I came in the US in 2011 on J-1 visa. My visa expired in September 2011; however, since then I have been working and paid my taxes, too. About 3 months ago I got married.Now, my wife wants to sponsor my green card but her income is lower then the poverty guidelines.My question is can I file I864A form with her given that I am not supposed to be working as my visa had expired? Thank you.

Stamford, CT -

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

No, sorry. Any income you've earned cannot be taken into consideration, since you did not have the legal right to work.

Dana Roxana Bucin

Dana Roxana Bucin

Immigration Attorney - Hartford, CT

No, you may not. You also may want to do this with the help of an attorney to make sure it's done right.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

Sorry, you can not use unlawful income.

Also, have you checked to see if you have a 2 year home-return restriction?

Namita Agarwal

Namita Agarwal

Immigration Attorney - Andover, MA

No unfortunately not. In your wife's cases she would require a separate cosignor.