Can I file taxes without 1099?

Asked over 3 years ago - Orlando, FL

In 2010, I did some work helping someone starting a new business. I did receive more than 600.00 for it. I am trying to file my taxes and was told I needed a 1099 and/or that the other person has to have a W-9 for me and should also send me a 1099. Will there be a penalty to either of us if I file without it? At the time, it wasn't something we thought about, but I don't want to have undeclared income. However, I don't want to pose them a problem wither since they did not have the paperwork on me. I know they don't plan to use any of it as a deduction on their own taxes, since the business did not really profit in 2010.

1. Robert Jan Suhajda

1

Answered . The coast is clear. Full speed ahead. The only time you have to attach a 1099 to your tax return is if there is tax withholding.

2. Henry Daniel Lively

Answered . A 1099 is just an information return. You need to include the income you received regardless of whether you received a 1099 or not. There is no penalty to you for including the income, but there could be penalties and interest if you do not include it.