Skip to main content

Can I file summary dissolution if we were married 6 years at time of separation and had 1 child 6 yrs old at time of separation?

South El Monte, CA |
Filed under: Divorce

we have been separated 14 years as of 2013. We had no property or anything of value at time of separation, I have a job and a checking account Our son is now 20 yrs old. I never asked for child support or spousal support and don't need it now.

Attorney Answers 3


I am sorry that your marriage did not work out, it sounds like you can, but to be certain, please chat with a local CA attnny and go over the specifics with him or her , it will be worth your time. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

8 found this helpful


You cannot file for a summary dissolution if you have any children together or were married longer than five years.

Mark as helpful


Here is a GREAT link from the Court's that will educate you about Summary Dissolution. I suggest you read this to get started. However, it is always best to hire counsel if you can afford one to take care of everything for you as the process can get tricky and sticky at points. Good Luck!

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics