Skip to main content

Can I file N-470 or can I only file I-131

Herndon, VA |

I have been an LPR since September 2010 (about 2.5 years) and I am currently considering an opportunity with the Indian arm of a US based corporation. Will I be eligible to file for a N-470 or can I only file I-131. If its I-131 what am I supposed to fill in the "Purpose of your trip" section in the I-131 form?
Thanks in Advance

Attorney Answers 1


On I-131 purpose of trip question you can answer work, pleasure or miscellanous. On N-470 to preserve your time for naturalization purposes the company must be 51% owned US to qualify. Does "Indian arm of a US based company" mean more than 51% US owned? Thats the key question to your answer If not majority US owned than cannot qualify.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics