Skip to main content

Can I file my lawsuit against an Employment Development Department in the nearest courthouse that hears civil unlimited cases?

Lakewood, CA |

This is an employment law issue. I am a former employee of an EDD office in Riverside, CA. I want to file a civil unlimited lawsuit, but would much prefer to make them come to my neck of the woods which I think might be the Norwalk, CA Superior Court. Bellflower would even be better. Don;t get me wrong this thing IS going to be filed. The underlying theory is that the potential Defendant does business in various counties of California. The Right to Sue is received from the DFEH in Santa Ana, CA (Orange County). Thanks in advance.

Attorney Answers 1


The typical venue for an employment case is the county in which the plaintiff was working or company was doing business. While you can most likely file against EDD in any county in the state where it has an office, I would suspect that EDD would move for a change of venue to the county in which you were actually working, that would then be up to the judge to decide. Good luck.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics