Skip to main content

Can I file immigration forms for free?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Tax law

Due to my low income, I receive public assistance for myself and my two US citizen children. Do I qualify for free filing? I.e I-485, I-765, I-131?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You may qualify for a fee waiver. I would suggest that you carefully read Form I-912, Request for a Fee Waiver and its Instructions.

  2. probably not, although some forms do have a fee exemption and you have to specifically request it (I believe there is a separate form). Not all forms have the exemption though.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  3. Possibly. Some forms qualify for fee waivers, but some do not. Also, whether you are eligible for a fee waiver will depend on your particular circumstances. You should read instructions for Form I-912.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

  4. If the basis for your I-485 is one that your requires you to prove you are not likely to become a public charge, and in fact you are a public charge - meaning that you receive money from the government in order to meet your living expenses, you may have other issues besides the filing fee to consider.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.