Can I file immigration forms for free?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Due to my low income, I receive public assistance for myself and my two US citizen children. Do I qualify for free filing? I.e I-485, I-765, I-131?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

14

8

Best Answer

Answered . You may qualify for a fee waiver. I would suggest that you carefully read Form I-912, Request for a Fee Waiver and its Instructions.

2. Irene Vaisman

12

2

Answered . probably not, although some forms do have a fee exemption and you have to specifically request it (I believe there is a separate form). Not all forms have the exemption though.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. Stephen D. Berman

Pro

9

2

Answered . If the basis for your I-485 is one that your requires you to prove you are not likely to become a public charge, and in fact you are a public charge - meaning that you receive money from the government in order to meet your living expenses, you may have other issues besides the filing fee to consider.

4. Gintare Grigaite

9

2

Answered . Possibly. Some forms qualify for fee waivers, but some do not. Also, whether you are eligible for a fee waiver will depend on your particular circumstances. You should read instructions for Form I-912.