Can I file I - 751 battered spouse waiver while the divorce is not complete

Austin, TX |

Dear Attorneys,

I have a conditional green card. My spouse was very abusive and I am currently seeking divorce from him. Our divorce case is going on. My husband had dropped several emails to USCIS in order to deport me. A domestic voilence group has suggested to me that I should file I-751 before divorce is finalized because One of their clients who had a similar situation like mine was deported soon after her divorce based on her husband's false emails to USCIS.
The validity of my green card ends May 2013.

Should I file I - 751 under battered spouse waiver before divorce has not finished? Is it legal?

What all documents should I collect and attache with I-751?

Do I need to Attach divorce decree as well if I am filing under Battered spouse waiver?

Thanks so much answering

I am sorry to hear that story. I strongly recommend to hire an immigration attorney. I-751 waiver process is a complex process.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

You do not have to be divorced from your abusive spouse if you seek the battered spouse waiver. You should retain a lawyer or BIA credited non-profit representative to do this for you.

Daniel Green, Esq.
Location: 684 Aaron Court, Kingston, NY
Mailing Address: PO Box 3238, Kingston, NY 12402
Tel: 347-245-7078/845-853-7302

I agree with my colleagues. There are several charitable groups that can assist you such as Catholic Immigration Services. You do need an attorney to assist you.

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Immigration