Can i file for temp parenting time before the initial status conference? Or do i have to wait till then to see my son?

Asked over 1 year ago - Castle Rock, CO

My initial status conference isnt till may 8th. Is there paper work i can file to get temp parental rights so i can see my son. Shes not letting me or my family see him till its court ordered.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . You can definitely file for a Temporary Orders hearing prior to the Initial Status conference in order to have the Court address parenting time and child support. However, in all likelihood, absent mediation or negotiation between you and the mother (or the attorneys) in the meantime, it is unlikely that absent a request for an "emergency parenting time" hearing that you would get parenting time prior to the hearing date for the ISC. Good luck.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

3

Answered . You should file a request for a temporary orders hearing as soon as possible. You need to understand, however, that the Court has a very full docket and it may not be possible to address the issue before the initial status conference (or later).

One other option would be to talk (or better, have your attorney talk) to the opposing attorney to see if an arrangement can be made to get temporary parenting time set up. If the parties are reasonable, this can be much quicker than trying to get time on the Court's docket.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Is your initial status conference scheduled in Douglas County? If so, you are going to end up seeing a family court facilitator, which means not a judicial officer. You do need to file something with the court asking that time be ordered. Make sure that you bring this issue to the attention of the FCF.

You really do need to consider seeking counsel for help.

Best of luck,

Dan