Skip to main content

Can i file for temp parenting time before the initial status conference? Or do i have to wait till then to see my son?

Castle Rock, CO |

My initial status conference isnt till may 8th. Is there paper work i can file to get temp parental rights so i can see my son. Shes not letting me or my family see him till its court ordered.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can definitely file for a Temporary Orders hearing prior to the Initial Status conference in order to have the Court address parenting time and child support. However, in all likelihood, absent mediation or negotiation between you and the mother (or the attorneys) in the meantime, it is unlikely that absent a request for an "emergency parenting time" hearing that you would get parenting time prior to the hearing date for the ISC. Good luck.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

  2. You should file a request for a temporary orders hearing as soon as possible. You need to understand, however, that the Court has a very full docket and it may not be possible to address the issue before the initial status conference (or later).

    One other option would be to talk (or better, have your attorney talk) to the opposing attorney to see if an arrangement can be made to get temporary parenting time set up. If the parties are reasonable, this can be much quicker than trying to get time on the Court's docket.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

  3. Is your initial status conference scheduled in Douglas County? If so, you are going to end up seeing a family court facilitator, which means not a judicial officer. You do need to file something with the court asking that time be ordered. Make sure that you bring this issue to the attention of the FCF.

    You really do need to consider seeking counsel for help.

    Best of luck,


    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics