Can I file for summary judgment for Annulment when the defendant does not respond after serving the papers?

Andover, MA |

If my wife does not respond to the papers that I would served, would I be able to file for summary judgment? I understand that under MA domestic relations procedure rule 56(a)
summary judgment is not available for divorce - But would it be available for Annulment?

1. Good question. I believe you can however I have never tried this or seen it. I hope one of my colleagues will offer some insight.

I wish you all the best.

2. Yes – summary judgment is available in an annulment action.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.

3. You could but I would suggest you will schedule it for status conference or pretrial and prepare the proposed judgment. It is very rare in domestic case for the defendant to file an answer or answer and counterclaim but it's becoming more common.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.