Skip to main content

Can I file for permament residency for my parents who entered with the WVP. I am an US citizen.

Houston, TX |

Their stay is till July 23, 2012.. My father has been dignosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and will be undergoing chemotherapy. They both are Singapore citizens.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Yes. You should be able to adjust their status.

    Best of luck.

    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Dallas, TX

  2. Yes, if you make enough money, you can sponsor them.

    But, you can not ask the government to pay for medical bills.

    Talk to an attorney.

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Yes, since your parents are immediate relatives, you should be able to adjust their status. I had a client who is an American citizen who adjusted the status of her Austrian mother last month. She entered the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney like me or someone else to help you with this application. Do not try to file it on your own.

    This response is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Questions and answers posted to this forum are public and cannot be kept confidential. Although admitted in DC, I currently reside in Texas and I am authorized to practice U.S. immigration law worldwide..

  4. As a U.S. Citizen, you must be 21 years of age to petition for your parents.

    You should also check the I-864 Affidavit of Support requirements. If you do not qualify, you will need to find a co-sponsor.

    I always recommend consulting with an experienced Immigration Attorney to make the process as easy as possible. You should also review all information available at

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics