Can i file for naturalization ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

I would like to know if I’m eligible to file for naturalization.
I lived in Unites States since January 2006. From 2006 till 2009 I was holder of J-1 visa ( student visa , since I was attending college). I got married in May of 2009 and received a Permanent Resident Card. My two year Green Card has expired in May 2012, and I was granted a one year extension due to pending application for conditional removal of status ( I-751). When I filed I-751 I was in the process of separation from my husband and we got divorced on March 2012, few months short of our three year wedding anniversary.
Currently my I-751 is still pending, but I was hoping that on the mean time I can file a petition for naturalization.
Hopefully someone can help me with my question.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . No, since you are divorced, you are under the 5-year residence requirement.

2. Kira Gagarin

5

Answered . Since you are divorced you will need to wait 5 yeaes, not 3, from the date you got your residency to naturalize. So no, you are not eligible at the moment. I hope you are working with an attorney on the removal of your conditions. Good luck.

3. Elisheva G Mosko

3

Answered . You are going to need to get the conditions removed before you are eligible to apply for citizenship. Additionally, since you and your husband divorced, chances are you won't be eligible to apply for naturalization for five, not three years. I recommend consulting with an experienced immigration attorney.