Skip to main content

Can I file for divorce in the USA if we were married in Mexico (we are legal residents) and our kids also born in Mexico?

Naperville, IL |
Filed under: Divorce

Legal residents. 6 years living in the USA. 2 kids 6yrs and 11 yrs

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Doesn't matter where You were married or where your children were born. If you are residents of Illinois, you can file for divorce in Illinois.

  2. Yes, you can filed for divorce in the State and county where you currently reside.

    This response shall not be construed as specific legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Further, this response is not intended to solicit legal fees.

  3. It's not where you got married that counts, it is where you reside.

  4. Yes you can.

  5. Yes. It doesn't matter where you were married, but where you now reside.

  6. Spanish: Si! No importa donde se casaron, lo importante es donde usted vive ahora. Si piensan regesar a vivir en Mexico, debe investigar en Mx. si reconocen un divorcio Americano, aunque mi imagino que si. Suerte!
    English: Yes! It doesn't matter where you got married, what is important is where you live now. If you are considering returning to live in Mexico, you may want to check with Mexico to make sure that they recognize an American divorce, although I imagine that they would. good luck!

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics