Skip to main content

Can I file for divorce in Georgia?

Columbus, GA |

I'm stationed here in GA and have been here about 7 months. My husband was stationed here for over two years, but just PCSd overseas. Can I file here? I know one of us has to be stationed here for a year to file, but does his residence count even though he's overseas? If not, do I just have to wait months before I can file?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Unless there are facts that have not been disclosed, you can file here: You have to live in Georgia for six months prior to filing a divorce here, not a year. Just be able to prove the six months.

    Good luck.

    You can contact me at my office at 770-744-4211 or by email through this website. The questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

  2. No longer lives here, you cannot use his residency for filing the divorce. If you are stationed here on military base, you will need to be here for 12 months before you are eligible to file, unless you elected to become a Georgia resident when you came here and have been here for more than six months.

    Nothing contained herein shall be considered or construed as creating an attorney client relationship between the party asking the question and the attorney. All legal problems are different. The answer given is only a general response based upon the facts provided and should not be considered specific advice for your case. Always contact a lawyer for advice about your particular circumstances and issues.

  3. The key is whether either of you actually declared Georgia residency (in his case he has to have declared actual legal residence in Georgia and not changed that after he left the state on duty, and you could file based on his actual legal residence still being Georgia). Then your time period is six months. If you sole basis is being stationed here, then you have a 12 month period and need to wait 5 months.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics