Can I file for chapter 7 bankruptcy online or through the mail? I don't have a car and I'm on food stamps.

Long Beach, CA |

Unemployed, no more benefits.

Its not the mechanics of filing that you are worried about, but rather do you need to file BK at all? You appear to be what is called, "judgment proof", meaning even if your creditors got a judgment against you how could they collect anything? Unless you own real estate with a large equity or a bag of gold/silver coins what assets do you have which could be seized after judgment? You can file BK by sending your paperwork by mail or in person, or electronically with the assistance of an attorney. If you have other questions, contact me or another AVVO lawyer offering a free consultation.

2. You can find a lot of information online, but in general, even a simple filing may require the assistance of an attorney to ensure you make the best choices available to you.

3. The bankruptcy self help desk has a clinic in korea town. Maybe they have one around there (google and call public counsel).

Anyway, go to this clinic to figure out if bankruptcy is even right for you. It's free and it's a 4 hour training session every other Tuesday. There are bus stops and train stops near by so you should be ok on transportation.

If you're not an attorney, you cannot file online.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in S. California, you may call my firm for a consultation 818-507-6000. The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: www.tilemlaw.com for more information about my services.

4. No, not without an attorney.

Jonathan D. Leventhal, Esq.
    Leventhal Law Group, P. C.
    818.347.5800

----- Original Message -----