Can I file for bankruptcy in CT without using an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Waterbury, CT

no details

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

Answered . The law allows you to do this but it is almost never a good idea. If you think that all you need to do is fill out some papers and show up in court, you are mistaken. Much of what goes on in bankruptcy involves knowing the unwritten rules of the local court. Most pro se filers end up stumbling and finding that this decision costs them much more than the relatively small legal fee involved. For others, who think they can't afford an attorney, they may also be shooting themselves in the foot because in most instances, the truly indigent do not need bankruptcy. If your motive is to learn how to be a lawyer, representing yourself in a bankruptcy can be a very expensive education.

I have represented accountants, lawyers and even bankruptcy court employees. If these educated people feel that they need legal representation in a bankruptcy, why would you think that you don't. Oh & BTW, 80% of the work I do in a case has nothing to do with preparing paperwork. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Dominic Spinelli

1

Answered . I agree with the others. If you decide to look for a bankruptcy attorney in Connecticut, contact me and I can put you in touch with attorneys to assist you.

This communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship
  3. David Lloyd Merrill

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, but it's always very risky to do so, and free services may be available if you qualify.

4. Max L Rosenberg

Pro

Answered . I am Bankruptcy attorney licensed in Connecticut and New York with my offices in Stratford, Connecticut. You can file without an attorney. You can also change your transmission on your car without a mechanic and end up with a really large and heavy paperweight. Attorneys who focus on bankruptcy have unique and specialized knowledge regarding the various exemption statutes, policies of trustees, forms and petition idiosyncrasies, as well as means test issues and income offsets. It would be the height of hubris and ignorance to attempt a filing yourself at the expense of your finances and life. Remember, you get what you pay for. Seek out an experienced bankruptcy attorney. For the fee you will likely pay, it is well worth it.