Can I file for a same sex divorce in Iowa while living in Kansas?

Kansas City, KS |
Filed under: Divorce

Me and my wife got married in Iowa and then we moved to Kansas. She left me a while back and went back to Iowa and is staying there with a friend. I am now in a new relationship in hopes that one day we may get married. If my ex is living in Iowa can I still file for divorce even though I reside in Kansas?

If you meet the residence requirement in Kansas you can file there. But same sex divorce is a different issue and you should consult a local attorney familiar with the issues to see what the best option is.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

If yours was not a same sex marriage, you would be able to get a divorce in KS. The same should apply in same sex marriages, but this depends on KS law. Consult in person with a KS divorce lawyer.