Can I file for a same sex divorce in Iowa while living in Kansas?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, KS

Me and my wife got married in Iowa and then we moved to Kansas. She left me a while back and went back to Iowa and is staying there with a friend. I am now in a new relationship in hopes that one day we may get married. If my ex is living in Iowa can I still file for divorce even though I reside in Kansas?

1. 1

Answered . If you meet the residence requirement in Kansas you can file there. But same sex divorce is a different issue and you should consult a local attorney familiar with the issues to see what the best option is.

2. Answered . If yours was not a same sex marriage, you would be able to get a divorce in KS. The same should apply in same sex marriages, but this depends on KS law. Consult in person with a KS divorce lawyer.