Can I file for a same sex divorce in Iowa while living in Kansas?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, KS

Me and my wife got married in Iowa and then we moved to Kansas. She left me a while back and went back to Iowa and is staying there with a friend. I am now in a new relationship in hopes that one day we may get married. If my ex is living in Iowa can I still file for divorce even though I reside in Kansas?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you meet the residence requirement in Kansas you can file there. But same sex divorce is a different issue and you should consult a local attorney familiar with the issues to see what the best option is.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more
  2. Answered . If yours was not a same sex marriage, you would be able to get a divorce in KS. The same should apply in same sex marriages, but this depends on KS law. Consult in person with a KS divorce lawyer.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,092 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,092 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering