Can I file for a legal separation from my wife without her full agreement on the financial terms ?

Asked about 5 years ago - Prince Frederick, MD

We split up last June from a 7 year. I have grown to insist that she work a job to support her own expenses. When we split up, I made great money. I told her that I would help her thru her first year but she needed to start working. She decided to enroll in college classes instead. we have 2 girls (8-6) I want to pay child support and move on with my life. I've spent the 401K and all my savings to help her thru this year. She wants me to provide a home and cover all expenses until she's finished with her nursing degree..( she's never finished anything.) I am currently living with my mother and cant afford to pay my own bills. It's been over a year now. She's still 100% reliant on me, Im overwhelmed with debt, and she just moved into her mothers basement with my kids.

1. James J Gross

Pro

Answered . You can file for a limited divorce (called a legal separation in some jurisdictions) in Maryland without an agreement. But that may not be what you need. You might be better off going to a mediator or seeing a lawyer to attempt to work out a Separation Agreement with your wife. If you cannot settle, one year mutual and voluntary separation is grounds for an absolute (final) divorce.