Can I file criminal charges against my ex-husband for domestic abuse on march 27 2009 I have pictures he is in HI. And I am in C

Asked over 3 years ago - Oceanside, CA

He is a marine and I called his command the morning it happened they did nothing .

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You can't file charges only the DA can do that but you can make a complaint. If it happened in California then it must be reported there.

    This is just my opinion and you assume the risk because I am not promising it is completely accurate.
  2. Linda Marie Destephano

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Although the DA decides when to file criminal charges, you decide if civil charges are appropriate. Had you sought protection in 2009 when the abuse happened a restraining order may have been granted. Why did you wait so long to pursue a restraining order against your ex husband? Too much time has lapsed between the abuse and the time of filing for a restraining order. The judge needs recent evidence of abuse to grant a restraining order.

    No communication stated on AVVO shall create an attorney-client relationship unless a separate retainer agreement... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,038 answers this week

3,207 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,038 answers this week

3,207 attorneys answering