Can I file criminal charges against my ex-husband for domestic abuse on march 27 2009 I have pictures he is in HI. And I am in C

Oceanside, CA |

He is a marine and I called his command the morning it happened they did nothing .

1. You can't file charges only the DA can do that but you can make a complaint. If it happened in California then it must be reported there.

This is just my opinion and you assume the risk because I am not promising it is completely accurate.

2. Although the DA decides when to file criminal charges, you decide if civil charges are appropriate. Had you sought protection in 2009 when the abuse happened a restraining order may have been granted. Why did you wait so long to pursue a restraining order against your ex husband? Too much time has lapsed between the abuse and the time of filing for a restraining order. The judge needs recent evidence of abuse to grant a restraining order.

No communication stated on AVVO shall create an attorney-client relationship unless a separate retainer agreement is signed by attorney and client. All statements in response to questions are for information only, and not legal advice. All statements posted on AVVO are NOT conveyed in the course of an attorney-client relationship, but intended merely as a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional legal counsel, and without a subsequent email communication (agreement) and formation of an attorney client relationship.