Can I file contempt of court on my ex for receiving maintance payment late and causing short check fees?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Castle Rock, CO

He has been consistantly late for over two to three yrs. If I do this can have him pay court costs and attorney fees.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Deasy. It is always a cost-benefit analysis.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . You can absolutely file a contempt citation against him. You may want to consult with a family law attorney to prepare the paperwork for you and make sure you are seeking the proper remedies. You ca certainly ask for fees, bu they are not guaranteed.

Keep this in mind, you could spend a great deal of money to pursue the matter with counsel and receive not much in the end. contmpt is a serious matter and you ought to discus other possible remedies with that same attorney.

Good luck!

3. Karl J Geil

1

Answered . Yes, you can pursue him for contempt, but doing so may not be worthwhile. Judges see people who are thousands, and tens of thousands, of dollars behind on maintenance and child support. In my experience (30 years worth), they tend not to be very sympathetic to you if you are actually receiving your payments, but they are just a little late.

As for short check fees, that is in your control. If you do not have the money, do not write the check.

If he is employed, you might consider asking the court to have your maintenance withheld from his pay, rather than relying on him to write a check on time.

4. Stephen Clark Harkess

Answered . You can pursue contempt, but the likely outcome is that the Court orders him to be more timely in his payments. The Court is unlikely to enter stronger sanctions the first (or even second) time this sort of issue is brought to them. As a result, it may not be worth pursuing if you are ultimately getting your support payments.