Can I file child abandonment charges?

Woodstock, GA |

I have a 4 month old child. The father left when I was 6 months pregnant and I have not heard from him since. Can I file child abandonment charges if he is not on the birth certificate?

Yes, you can file abandonment charges against him. You start the process by going to your county magistrate court and asking for a warrant application. If he denies being the father, he will be required at some point during the prosecution to submit to a paternity test.

How long do I have to wait to file it? Does he have to have no contact for a year?

William M. Brownell Jr.

William M. Brownell Jr.

Criminal abandonment is not a crime about "contact" with the child. It is a crime about his not supporting the child. Different courts have different criteria on the amount of time of non-support. Generally, if he hasn't given your child a reasonable amount of support over 2-3 months, he would likely be subject to a criminal warrant.

Yes you can, and should. Go to the county magistrate's court.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

In some states he has to have no contact for a year before I could file it. Is this true for Georgia too?

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

In Georgia a parent commits the crime of abandonment of a child by failing to support the child for 30 days.

If he is the father of the child you may do so. Go see a magistrate judge and make an application for a warrant.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
Decatur, Ga. 30033
404-636-6616

Thank you. How long do I have to wait to file it?

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody