Can I file charges against a store for ignoring fire code violations while customers were present?

Asked over 1 year ago - Conroe, TX

Whereupon leaving my super market, I realized that the entire exit on one side of the store had been barricaded off by a bunch of shopping carts inside and out. The doors were shut and locked closed. Above each door there was an exit sign designating it as an emergency means of egress as per the Montgomery County Fire code (which is an amended version of the International Fire Code of 2006. In that code, under section 1028, specifically 1028.2 and 1028.3, it clearly states that all exits must be free from obstruction. I brought this to the attention of the manager who dismissed it telling me that I did not know what I was talking about. I feel that my safety was threatened and that my concerns were ignored.
Are there any legal actions that I can take against their disregard of my safety?

1. Brian Heath Crockett

Pro

3

Answered . No they cannot disregard your safety. That being said, the remedy is to discontinue shopping there and potentially reporting them to the local fire marshal. In terms of an individual suit, this does not rise to the level of a lawsuit. I recommend you avoid the location if they are not being safe.

2. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

3

Answered . You have no claim unless you were personally injured. That's why we call it personal injury law. However, you can report it to the fire marshal. If it is still going on, you may prevent someone else from being injured or killed in a fire.

3. Leroy Brenardo Scott

2

Answered . If you try to bring a private action against the super market, you will run into the problem of proving how the super market's actions damaged or injured you.